HIPAA Compliance - Signing a Business Contract with Vendor to Ensure Safe Disposal of Medical Records
- Provide complete details on how the waste paper will be disposed off, safely.
- Indicate the time taken towards disposal. It should clearly point out the time lapsed between collection and its destruction.
- Ensure availability of specific sum of liability insurance, which provides risk coverage risk to the covered entity. This is because the covered entity is ultimately responsible for privacy of patient health records.
- Provide complete information on all the safeguards placed in waste paper management plan so that covered entity can rest assured of no safety breaches, from collection to disposal of the paper records.
- Provide proof of record destruction, whether it is by shredding, paper recycling or burning.
Labels: HIPAA compliance